Fall is almosttt in the air here in Southern California (it’s a chilly 79 degrees here at Warner Bros. today) and my peanut m&m’s addiction is as debilitating as ever. In an attempt to better hold myself accountable for what I put in my body, here’s my best attempt at remembering what I ate over the past two weeks:
- Breakfast: 2 breakfast burritos with 2 eggs, 3 strips of bacon, mushrooms, and garlic. I really need to cut down on the eggs since my last blood test revealed that my cholesterol has gone up and is now a bit high. Bacon probably isn’t the most helpful in that realm, either.
- Lunch: Hawaiian pulled pork and a banana.
- Dinner: Hawaiian pulled pork and brussels sprouts.
- Breakfast: Egg whites omelet with spinach, mushrooms, bacon, and avocado from the catering truck at work.
- Lunch: BBQ pulled pork and mashed sweet potatoes from Wood Ranch Grill.
- Dinner: I rushed home from the gym and showered before heading to a wine bar where I had a glass of red wine (not included in my diet…) and snacked on almonds and olives. I wolfed down an Epic bacon bar when I got home to try and balance out all my classiness from the evening.
- Breakfast: I went back to the catering truck for my usual egg whites omelet with spinach, mushrooms, bacon, and avocado before running to AutoZone to get my car battery replaced! Our transpo guys gave me a battery pack to get to and from work after my car died on Monday. Working on a TV show definitely has its benefits!
- Lunch: Leftover BBQ pulled pork and mashed sweet potatoes from Wood Ranch Grill.
- Dinner: Breakfast for dinner! 2 eggs over easy with bacon.
- Breakfast: Apple with crunchy almond butter.
- Lunch: Chicken and mushroom pad thai with lime. Brussels Sprouts from Idle Hour. Jicama sticks with lime and salt.
- Dinner: Hawaiian Pulled pork, jicama sticks with lime and salt.
- Don’t mind the gap…
- Drinks: A gin and tonic for my friend’s birthday. She was the first person I met in LA after moving up here from college, and we’ve been together ever since our 101 class at UCB.
- Breakfast: Breakfast burrito with 2 eggs, mushrooms, garlic, and prosciutto.
- Lunch: Epic bacon bar.
- Dinner: Chicken kabob from crafty. I was on set helping some friends with a music video for Saint Motel, and did not bring enough food for myself. I was there longer than anticipated and only brought some seaweed (which I was too embarrassed to pull out and eat in front of everyone) and an Epic bacon bar, which I got plenty of questions about in the 30 seconds it took me to snarf it down. But the shooting was a lot of fun and reminded me of all the weekends I spent on set in college, hanging out with friends during downtime, and making magic happen when the cameras roll. After a few days where I felt more weighed down by my diet and disease, it re-inspired me for the week to come.
- Breakfast: The yooj: Egg whites omelet with spinach, mushrooms, bacon, and avocado.
- Lunch: An unspecified salad. From an undisclosed location. (I can’t remember.)
- Dinner: Leftover salad.
- Dinner: I was feeling very tired and bummed out, so I skipped the gym and instead went home to sleep. I lay in bed for a while and got the energy to order sushi online. It was not what my body needed, but my soul was like, “Yes, sushi will make everything better.” So I go the dinner combo from What the Fish? with 5 types of sushi and two cali rolls (no seeds). I used coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. Anytime I have rice I feel much more full than usual, but other than that I felt fine for my improv show at 9:30.
- Gaps, gaps, gaps…
- Breakfast: Egg whites omelet with spinach, mushroo– blah blah blah, you get it by now. I eat a lot of eggs.
- Lunch: Rice with gyro, garlic sauce and tzatziki sauce from Yalla Mediterranean.
- Dinner: Chipotle. I know, I know, I went totally off the rails today. So much rice! I had some mild cramps after the fact, but all in all I didn’t suffer too much. Which is good! Because I was sitting in a movie theater between two co-workers for two hours right after eating. We went as an office to see Masterminds, and even though I was skeptical because it had been shelved so long, holy moly did that movie make me laugh.
- Breakfast: 1 hard boiled egg before my softball game because I was feeling the rice from the previous day. We also lost our game, but it felt good to get out and get moving.
- Lunch: I left the pad thai I had made the day before at work, so I stopped by the office to pick it up. The building was locked and it turned into a whole thing of me chasing down security (them on a golf cart, me on foot) in order to get in the building. Totally worth it though!
- Dinner: I really broke the diet for this one. I met up with friends at Baby Blues in WeHo for some BBQ. I resisted getting a cocktail, but went all out on pulled pork and mashed sweet potatoes. I steered clear of the XXX spicy sauce, but drenched my food in the regular and sweet BBQ. So, so good. I felt full more than anything after the meal, and stopped at Whole Foods and Target before heading home. No rushing to the restroom! I did have some mild pain, but the cheat night wasn’t too bad. It’s nice to have on every once in awhile, but maybe not two days in a row.
- Breakfast: Breakfast burrito with 2 eggs, mushrooms, garlic, and one grain-free tortilla before meeting up with my little sis from Big Brothers Big Sisters to play some tennis. It was her first time and I can already tell she’s gonna go pro.
- Lunch: Spaghetti squash with frozen meat sauce that I thawed out earlier in the week, plus and apple and almond butter.
- Dinner: Pho! I thawed out a mason jar of chicken bone broth, added fish sauce and coconut aminos, mushrooms, capello’s fettucine, basil, and two six-minute eggs. After a brief hiatus from my coconut layer bars, they are back for dessert! They were the perfect treat before a Sunday night improv show, the greatest way to cap off a weekend.
- Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs and an apple with crunchy almond butter.
- Lunch: Leftover pad thai from Friday. I forgot limes, which really make the meal, so I got some from the catering truck at work. Those guys are the best.
- Snack: Seaweed from T.Joe’s. It has sesame in it, but I was too lazy to remember that I brought sesame-free seaweed (SeaSnaxxxxx) to work last week and had hidden it away in a drawer.
- Dinner: Paleo lasagna. I found a recipe here but tweaked it for my own purposes. I finally used the butternut squash that had been sitting on my counter for weeks since I bought that produce box. Since I carried it all the way through the subway system back to my apartment, there was no way I was going to let it go to waste. I made the butternut squash sauce like it is in the recipe, but I substituted spinach for kale, and capello’s lasagna noodles for the crepes. I also ate a lot of the spinach/onion/sausage while I was cooking, so there isn’t quite enough in the actual lasagna. Whoops! That’s what I get for cooking at 9pm when I’m starving.
I made my first ever order at Thrive Market a couple weeks ago. They sell a lot of the snacks that I pick up exclusively at Whole Foods (SeaSnax, Epic bacon bars, etc.) but at about 3/4 of the price. The first month is free without a membership, so I’m taking advantage of it, and now I have enough snacks for a few months!